Vostok is a Russian watch manufacturer who have supplied the Russian Military with watches since the mid th Century. Vostok currently produce many variants of the Amphibia, but the 090916 model is a reissue of the original model released in 1967.
In recent years Vostok have developed a cult following amongst watch collectors due to their durability and incredible value for money. Vostok automatic dive watches can legitimately withstand ATM of pressure (0m), which is significant as there are not many other watches in this proce range that can – there are many videos on youtube where this is tested.
The Vostok Amphibia has become particularly collectable due to its several unique and innovative design features.
Compressive Acrylic Crystal
The acrylic crystal is designed to compress at greater pressure, forming a greater seal with the case.
Innovative Caseback Design
A typical dive watch caseback is screwed down directly onto a rubber O-ring seal. However, the torsion applied to the O-ring from screwing the caseback directly onto it can potentially damage the O-ring, and undermine the seal. To prevent this, the caseback on a Vostok Amphibia is placed onto the O-ring and is secured with a nut-ring which screws around the caseback. The O-ring is also wider than typical, in order to better distribute the compression forces.
Most dive watches feature a screw-on crown with a gasket to prevent water from entering when the crown/stem is pulled out. The Vostok Amphibia crown/stem is unique in that it also features a clutch which doesn’t engage unless you pull the crown/stem fully away from the watch. Whilst it may give the impression that the stem is wobbly when unscrewed, this actually protects the mechanism from accidental lateral forces which may be applied to the crown/stem.
- Approximate size of the case and crystal: 47mm x 41mm x 14mm
- Approximate dial/crystal diameter: 31mm
- Lug Width: 22mm
Summary of Features:
- Vostok 2415 automatic mechanical movement (no date, non-hacking)
- 0m Water Resistance (ATM)
- Luminescent hands and indices
- Highly durable stainless steel case
- Screw on crown with clutch: position 1 for manual wind, position 2 to adjust time
- Acrylic crystal which compresses at greater depth
- Innovative caseback design
- Bi-directional freely rotating bezel – no ratchet/click-stop
- Modified with aftermarket bezel and silicone-rubber dive strap
Note: Do not adjust the hands anti-clockwise as this may damage the mechanism. Ensure the crown is fully screwed down before submerging in water.